Gil grew up in San Francisco during the Sixties when “The Summer of Love” was in full bloom. “When I was in college, my mother once wanted to know what it was like to get stoned,” he said. “I offered to give her a sample, but then she chickened out!”
Not so with today’s seniors.
Which is why this video is so interesting. (Click on visual above to view video)
For instance, did you know that “senior citizens are the fastest growing demographic of marijuana users in the country”?
You’ll discover that many residents at an independent and assisted living community in Seattle were curious about marijuana’s legalization in Washington State. In fact, they were so curious, they were invited to visit a dispensary to learn about the benefits of using pot.
What the seniors discovered might surprise you:
- Some wanted to “inhale”, some chose not to, but almost all embraced how marijuana products could help them.
- Some discussed how they can now use topicals to decrease their shoulder or hand debilitating pain.
- Some were amazed at how quickly a resident with Parkinson’s disease stopped shaking.
- Some talked candidly about how getting high keeps them from getting too low.
- Some will change your perception about seniors using the magic herb for their arthritis, neuropathy, sleep apnea, or just to cope with the depression of their golden years.
As marketing professionals who work with senior living communities, we like to share what we learn. So please remember, as Little Feat sang so beautifully in the iconic movie Easy Rider, “don’t Bogart that joint, my friend…”
SGD is a San Francisco Bay Area advertising, marketing and branding agency specializing in the senior and boomer markets. We’ve successfully positioned, branded and rebranded companies that market to seniors, weaving traditional and online tactics to create compelling stories that drive response.
About the Authors
Gil Zeimer is a Creative Director / Copywriter at SGD Advertising specializing in senior / boomer, healthcare, lifestyle, financial, travel / leisure and technology brands since 1984. He first “inhaled” in 1968.
Duff Reiter is an Account Director / Planner at SGD Advertising specializing in senior / boomer, healthcare, lifestyle, financial, travel / leisure and technology brands since 1984.